Lemon drizzle cake is without doubt an all time classic. Here’s a really simple recipe to make one – do let me know if you give it a go!
- 175g unsalted butter, softened
- 175g caster sugar
- 175g self raising flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 50g granulated sugar
- Pre heat oven to gas mark 4 / 180ºC / 160ºC fan
- Line a 2lb loaf tin with greaseproof paper (or cheat like I did and use a 2lb loaf tin liner – available from most supermarkets – I prefer using these when I make cakes for gifts as I think it makes it look more professional!)
- Beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Mix in half of the flour and half of the eggs until well combined.
- Add the rest of the flour and eggs and mix.
- Fold in lemon zest.
- Pour in to prepared tin and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 50 minutes.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes then using a clean skewer, poke holes all over and pour over the lemon drizzle.
*All baking times are approximate – insert a clean skewer in to the centre of the cake and if it comes out clean, the cake is done!